Archive 2018

Moving to Spain: Your Emigration Essentials

Flag of Spain

When you are planning on moving to the beautiful country of Spain, there will be certain things that you will need to have covered to make your emigration that much easier.

Choosing to emigrate to this attractive southern European country is a decision many more citizens of the UK are doing and this guide will fill you on how to enjoy your stay.

Find out what you need to know ahead of time with this special checklist as listed below.

Getting Your Affairs in Order

Before you make the move you will want to have your affairs in order before you relocate.

This means being aware of bills, expenses and other ties that need to be severed before your leave your home country.

Things like utility bills such as gas and electric, internet and phone contracts, insurance plans as well as taxes will need to be addressed and dealt with.

You will need to have these aspects of your life properly managed.

You do not want to be in a predicament where you are paying for bills or other costs that you no longer use or need as a future citizen of Spain.

Young Couple Moving Home

Packing the Essentials

Other tips include packing light and doing what you can to lower shipping costs.

Speak to a specialist company that deals in removals to Spain.

They can get your effects transferred quickly and easily, and understand the local bureaucracy to speed up the process.

Many people will want to transport all their belongings but these can be sold or given away to make the transition that much easier.

Another suggestion is to have your pets micro chipped before you move.

In Spain, it is necessary to have your furry friend microchipped.

Other rules apply for exotic animals but take this into note to prevent problems like having your animal go through a quarantine process.

After You Arrive In Spain

The very first important thing you will need is getting yourself a non-native identity number which is also referred to as a NIE number.

This is important because you will need it for health care, your financial affairs and other civic things.

It is intelligent to have this taken care of before you move and you can download the form and have it filled within the Spanish consulate of your home country.

You also have the option to have a solicitor submit this form for you and you will have to give them permission to do so.

Have this done immediately to ensure health services and other needs.

A document you will also need is a “certificate of registration” or ìCertificado de Empadronamientoî.

This needs to be completed within 3 months of moving to Spain and it is documentation you can get registered at your local Spanish town hall.

Typically you will be issued the document right then and there that day.

New House Key

Know the Spanish Healthcare System

The healthcare system is much like the system that is used within the UK in which people who work and make payments to the social security system are given access to state health care.

Luckily there is no costs other then the price of medicine.

There is a percentage chart that you have to pay based on income, age and other factors.

It should be noted that if you live primarily in the UK and live in a short term basis in Spain then you will have the option of using your EHIC card for health care.

Getting a Bank Account

When you need to open a banking account you will need your NIE number and a passport, proof of address and with some banks, proof of employment.

You will need to do this in person but some banks offer on line registration to begin the process of opening an account.

A piece of advice is to shop around for a bank that offers cash withdrawals and truly offers your requirements with as few charges as possible.

Spain has rather high charges for things like ATM transactions so be aware of your bank and their policies.

Driving in Spain

Lastly as a resident of Spain you will need to have a Spanish driving license.

It is required under law and there are required medical checks and the license itself must be renewed every 10 years.

After the age of 65 years old then your license must be renewed every 5 years.

If you have a EU license you will need to renew it within the first two years you have been a citizen of Spain which will then change it into a Spanish license.

Follow these tips above and your relocation to Spain will be much easier and will free up your time to focus on this beautiful country.

When these items are taken care of before hand and after moving to Spain will be better with less stress and more enjoyment.

How to file your UK tax return with ease

HMRC Self Assessment Tax Form

Understanding HMRC’s Self-Assessment System

If you have not filed your tax return yet do not feel bad as this article will help you understand the commonalities of how to file your UK tax return correctly.

We aim to enlighten you and dispel myths and other misinformation which may be holding you back from accomplishing knowing how to file your UK tax return correctly.

We will do our best to cover all the different angles necessary.

As you may or may not know you are required to file your taxes by January 31st of this year.

If you miss this deadline you can possibly face a £100 fine and you may face even more penalties if you are extremely late.

There are two options for filing your tax return with the online version and the paper format.

Both are essential and we will show you how to get it done properly as you continue reading below.

HMRC Payment Deadline Letter

Filing a tax return late can lead to a fine. Image credit: Channel 4

Who Needs to File a Tax Return?

You will need to fill out a tax return if you are self-employed have a job or do any type of freelance or casual work.

All income that you earn through the year has the potential of being taxable.

You will have to fill out a tax return if you have £2,500 or more in untaxed income from things like property, investments or savings.

Secondly, you will have to file a tax return if your investment or savings income was £10,000 before tax.

Also if your income was more then a £100,000 or if you made a profit from selling a rental property then you will be required to pay a capital gains tax.

This report is designed to offer tips and suggestions and for further requirements we recommend you visit the official HMRC website to get all the exact details.

Get All Necessary Documents Together

The very next thing you will need to do is get a hold of your bank statements, household bills, invoices, a copy of your P60 as well as your P11D.

If you don’t have access to either of these forms then be sure to contact the payroll office of where you work for the required paperwork to get your taxes done.

If you have never filed your taxes you will need to register as a new user at the HMRC online services website.

You will need your 10 digits unique taxpayer reference number.

Next, you will be given a unique user identification that you will need to hold on too for future use.

You will receive an activation code when you signup.

Once you have received it you can log into the HMRC Self Assessment portion of their website.

If you have already signed up for self-assessment online then you don’t have to go through signing up and activating your account again.

You will just need to use your user identification as well as password.

If your tax affairs are marked as “relatively straightforward” then the HMRC will take you out of the self-assessment tool.

If this applies to you the HMRC will send you a letter stating you no longer have to fill out a form for taxes.

Some people would like to know how to file your UK tax return correctly in a way that will reduce the overall bill.

Always Claim Expenses

One method for lowering your bill is by claiming expenses.

If you are a home-based business owner you can claim a percentage of your heating, electricity, internet and telephone bills.

You can even claim a portion of your mortgage or rent, insurance and even charges from the bank.

You can also do such things as claiming expenses associated with your business such as new computers, vehicles used in business, the costs of petrol as well as car repairs.

However, you cannot claim these expenses if you are working at home for a full-time employer.

If you worked offshore on a cruise ship, yacht or seaborne vessel outside of UK waters for a considerable length of time, the you may be able to claim Seafarers Earnings Deduction.

The rules surrounding this exemption are complex so you are advised to consult seafarers tax accountants for help and guidance.

This isn’t all the information you need to know about on how to file your UK tax return correctly.

We highly recommend that you visit and review the helpful HMRC website or you can always call their self-assessment helpline.

The phone number is active from Monday to Saturday and the phone number is 0300 200 3310.

They are there to help you and answer any questions that you may have about filing your taxes.

Sometimes it may take a little while to reach a live operator on the helpline but it is worth it if you need help.

Ultimately filing your taxes on time is the best option available as you will not have to spend money on any penalties or fines.

Be sure to file on time!

Article Sources

The author wishes to acknowledge the following external sites for use of text, images and reference material: